Here you can find the most commonly asked questions regarding O&O Syspectr. Should you not find the answer to your particular question here, then please contact us. We are always happy to help!
How can I use PowerShell script on multiple computers simultaneously?
- Select a computer in your account that enabled the PowerShell app. Click the PowerShell app there and switch to the Script Library (above right button).
- In the Library, select the script you want to use on the computer. This will bring you into editing mode.
- Below right you’ll see a button “Add computer”. Click it.
- In the following menu, you can select the computer you want by choosing individual ones (holding the Ctrl key) or entire sections (holding the Shift key).
- Select in the Execution listbox “Manual execution – run now” and click “Add”
How does PowerShell work in O&O Syspectr?
Actually, PowerShell works in O&O Syspectr just as if you were working directly on the computer. In addition, O&O Syspectr offers the evaluation of the outcome of the PowerShell script and scheduling, as you may know from Linux crontab . This makes it possible to execute PowerShell scripts at specific times, without having to use the Windows Task Scheduler.
With the help of the PowerShell scripting app, you are no longer bound to the restrictions of popular IT monitoring solutions. It is finally possible to customize and extend your wishes according to your IT monitoring!
Which PowerShell versions are compatible with O&O Syspectr?
The PowerShell is available in different versions. To find out which version is installed on your system, you can investigate using O&O Syspectr in the Dashboard. Basically:
- Version 1.0 is obsolete and should no longer be used
- Version 2.0 is pre-installed by default in Windows 7. It can be downloaded and installed free of charge for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Vista.
- Version 3.0 is standard since Windows 8. It is also available for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.
- Version 4.0 is the current version and can be installed as component of Windows Management Framework 4.0.
The different versions have partly different syntax and functions so that adjustments to the scripts for each version may be necessary.
How to create and manage PowerShell scripts in O&O Syspectr?
PowerShell scripts can be fully managed in O&O Syspectr via the web application. You can create, edit, activate and deactivate, and delete scripts. In other words, you can create, edit and see the results of a script for one of your computers from virtually anywhere in the world. Scripts that you have created once can also be applied to any other computer.
How to evaluate the results of PowerShell scripts?
Each script provides a result value (so-called. exit code) at the end. This value influences the status of your computer and is interpreted as follows:
- exit 0 (or no exit code was delivered): Status OK (green)
- exit 1: Status warning (yellow)
- exit 2 or greater: Status problem (red)
At the same time, the latest issue line of your script is up to 2,048 characters long and stored and recorded in the history of your computer. Of course, you can subscribe to an alert that sends you the exit code and that issue via mail; that way, you can see immediately, if an automated script signals a warning or an issue.
How to execute and schedule PowerShell scripts?
Executing scripts is possible as follows:
- Manually – manual execution using O&O Syspectr
- Automatically during system start – the script runs at each system start up
- Automatically at certain times – the times can be specified using crontab-Syntax
Syntax of scheduling
If the user-defined execution is enabled, the scripts can be run automatically. The line consists of the following 5 fields:
[Minutes] [Hours] [Days] [Months] [Weekdays]
Definition of fields
|Minutes||0...59 | * for each minute|
|Hours||0...23 | * for each hour|
|Days||1...31 | * for each day||If days and weekdays are used together, they are not evaluated together but individually (see exception on examples)|
|Months||1...12 | * for each month|
|Weekdays||0...7 | * for each weekday||0 or 7 stand for Sunday|
Examples for scheduling with O&O Syspectr
|10||0||*||*||*||Each day ten minutes to midnight.|
|10||0||*||*||3||Each Wednesday ten minutes to midnight.|
|0||*||*||*||*||Every day on each full hour|
|*/15||4-16||*||*||6,7||Every 15 minutes between 4 a.m. and 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.|
|*||*||*||*||*||Every minute (minimal setting option)|
|*||14||1-10||5||1||On May 1 to 10 and on each Monday in May at 2 p.m.; This is an exception, when days and weekdays are used together|